Skip to main content
Insuring a learner driver

There are some limits on what car you can insure, and who can get insured

Joey M avatar
Written by Joey M
Updated over a week ago

Car rules

There are a few restrictions on which cars a learner can get insured on using hourly cover.

The car must be in insurance group 20 or below. We also can't insure cars that are:

  • Scrapped or impounded

  • Hire cars, or vehicles on a fleet policy

  • Company/business vehicles

  • Older than 20 years

  • Valued more than £30,000

There are also a limit on some modifications (although any change that makes things easier for a disabled driver is allowed).

Driver rules

Don't forget, learners need to be aged between 17 and 40, and have had their provisional driving licence for less than 5 years.

You also must have a GB driving licence (unfortunately we can't insure drivers with licences issued in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man, because these regions have different licencing authorities to the mainland).

Cuvva uses a rating model from our underwriters to work out who we can and can't cover. Our customer support team will always try our best to help you get you insured, but sadly we can't reverse the decisions made by the app or website - and we often won't have access to any further information.

Did this answer your question?