Skip to main content
All CollectionsPolicies, quotes, and incidents
Reporting an accident, theft or damage to your vehicle: what to do and how to make a claim
Reporting an accident, theft or damage to your vehicle: what to do and how to make a claim

What to do if you’ve had an accident or need to make a claim

Steve avatar
Written by Steve
Updated this week

You need to report all incidents within 24 hours of them happening, even if you're not going to claim.

This includes any accidents, damage or theft to your vehicle, and any injuries you have. This also includes any injuries to third parties, and any damage to a third party vehicle or property.

We’ve got a step-by-step guide on how this process works at the bottom of this article. First, some important information 👇

Reporting an incident

Cuvva is the insurance intermediary, so we don't handle claims. Instead, you'll need to speak with the insurer (underwriter) of your policy - this will either be Mulsanne, Wakam, or ERS.

The easiest way to do this is via the app. Click the 'Trips' tab, select the policy you need to claim on, and then click 'Help' at the bottom. Then select the 'Report' option, which will automatically start a phone call with your underwriter.

You can also claim by looking at your policy documents to find out your underwriter, and then ringing them on the number below.

020 3828 7127 is for Mulsanne (Key Claims).

020 3828 7381 is for Wakam (Crawford).

01908 735231 is for ERS (Crawford)

Helpful tips

For any motor policy, if significant damage has occurred or anyone has been injured, you should call the police right away. If police attend the scene, get the name and number of the police officer and take note of the crime reference number you are given.

Other things you can do:

  • Take pictures of the incident with your phone.

  • Record the names and contact details of those involved and any witnesses.

  • Even if you think it may have been your fault, we would suggest not making any admission of fault or apology at the scene.

Your underwriter will probably ask you for:

  • Policy number (this will be in your policy documents)

  • Vehicle make, model, colour, and registration

  • Where the accident happened

  • Details of any damage, and photos if you have them

  • The other driver’s details (if there was another driver involved).

What to do if you break down

If you paid extra to add Cuvva's breakdown cover to your policy, and you have a problem with your vehicle, you can follow the same process as for making a claim, but clicking the option for after you've broken down. You'll then be put through to a breakdown line, where you will receive asssistance.

Step-by-step guide to making a claim

  1. Something happens to your car. An accident, damage or theft can be a nightmare, but we’re here to help. The first thing to do is let your insurer know using process outlined at the start of this article. The insurer may take some time to respond.

  2. Investigation begins. Claim adjusters (basically car detectives!) look closely at what happened. They want to understand everything about the incident - who, what, where, when, why, how. It’s like solving a puzzle.

  3. Paperwork. The claim adjusters make sure all the important details are recorded: what’s been damaged, who’s going to fix it, expected timings. Basically a nice big checklist that helps everyone stay organised and on track.

  4. Talking money or repair. You’ll receive a settlement (based on trade guides) if your car has been deemed a category A or B write-off, or if it will cost too much to repair. If repairable, everything will be sorted for you via an approved repair shop, or you can choose to receive cash to sort the repair yourself.

  5. Waiting for repairs. If you choose one of our approved repair shops, we’ll sort everything for you, from checking up with the repair shop to getting the car back to you when it’s all fixed up.

  6. Litigation. This doesn’t always happen, but if a claim is disputed by someone else and goes to court, the insurer may defend your claim, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.

If you need any updates on your claim once you've reported it, you'll need to speak to the underwriter for your policy directly.

Did this answer your question?