Skip to main content
All CollectionsPolicies, quotes, and incidents
Driving instructor and supervisor cover
Driving instructor and supervisor cover

What you need to know about driving with an instructor or supervisor

Cam ⚔️ avatar
Written by Cam ⚔️
Updated over a week ago

Whether you want to share the drive with a friend or relative, or get in some extra practice on top of your driving lessons, you can get a temporary learner’s policy with Cuvva.

You’ll need to have a supervisor - but they won't need to be insured to drive the car.

Our rules for supervisors

Your supervisor will need to:

  • Be over 25 years old

  • Be qualified to drive the type of vehicle you’re learning in (for example, someone with an automatic licence can only supervise you in an automatic car)

  • Have held their full licence for at least 5 years

Other insurers may have different requirements - so if you’re getting covered with another provider, make sure you check out their rules first.

They don’t have to be insured

Your supervisor doesn’t have to be insured on the vehicle you’re driving, or on any other vehicle.

This means, however, that it would be illegal for them to actually drive the car without insurance, even if it was just to help you out if you get into a tight spot or lose confidence.

So it might be worth them getting a temporary insurance policy too, just in case they do need to take over for any reason.

Any questions? Our customer support team are on hand 365 days a year, from 9am to 9pm. Just drop them a message in the app or email

Happy driving 🚗 

Did this answer your question?